Om Ali14 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 5 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“It's an Egyptian dessert that contains phyllo dough or puff pastry, milk and nuts. Use any kind of nuts that you would like and eat it with a spoon. Legend has it that Om Ali was the first wife of the sultan Ezz El Din Aybek. When the sultan died, his second wife had a dispute with Om Ali, resulting in the second wife's death. To celebrate, Om Ali made this dessert and distributed it among the people of the land.” - by NANCY GIRGIS
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place the pastry sheets in the baking dish and place the dish in the oven. Watch it closely. When the top layer turns crunchy and golden, remove it from the oven. Continue until all the sheets are cooked.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, raisins, coconut and 1/4 cup sugar. Break cooked pastry into pieces and stir into nut mixture. Spread mixture evenly in 9x13 inch dish.
- Bring milk and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour over nut mixture.
- Beat the heavy cream with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over nut mixture in dish.
- Place dessert under oven broiler until top is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 935 cal
- 62.3 g
- 87.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"I am Egyptian and have been looking for a good Om Ali recipe, similar to the one I adore in Egypt. This IS it! Thanks Nancy for sharing a wonderful recipe - anymore Egyptian/Mediterranean recipes, ple..." See morease share!"
"Great dessert. Sweet and hugely "more-ish". I recommend varying the nuts and fruit to include flaked almonds and sultanas mixed with chopped dates. I live in the Middle East and eat Om Ali from the f..." See moreinest hotels here and this recipe is as good as any of them."
Graham Cracker Pudding
Cream Puffs I
Just swipe to see more like this.