Sauerbraten I42 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 5 day 2 hr 15 min
“Here is a recipe for Sauerbraten that is pretty decent. However, this is more like a project. I know real Germans who approve of this recipe.” - by MS.LUV2EAT
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine cider vinegar, water, brown sugar, cloves, allspice, salt, pepper, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion, carrot and celery. Heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles appear at edges, but do not boil.
- Poke deep holes in roast and place in non-metal bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate for five days, turning once daily.
- Remove roast from liquid; pat dry with paper towels. Remove bay leaf and peppercorns from liquid and discard. Strain liquid from vegetables, reserving both.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear all sides of roast quickly, 1 to 2 minutes each side. Reduce heat to low, pour reserved vegetables and 1 cup of vinegar liquid into pan. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, adding more vinegar liquid if necessary.
- Remove roast from pan, and let cool slightly. Slice roast and return slices to liquid in pan, cover and simmer 30 minutes more. Remove slices to serving platter. Stir sour cream into heated liquid and heat through, but do not allow to boil. Pour sauce over meat and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 941 cal
- 61.4 g
- 21.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (42)Rate This Recipe
"This was really delicious. I marinated in a zip close bag for 4 days, used lots of onion and skipped the rest of the veggies. On Day 5 I put it in the crock pot on low for 8 hrs. When it was done to..." See more the point of falling apart, I removed the meat from the pot, and stirred into the leftover juices: 3/4 C crushed gingersnaps, 1/4 C. brown sugar and 1 C. sour cream to create the traditional gravy. YUM!"
"After years of hearing my husband whine "I miss my mothers sauerbraten...it was so good...old german recipe...." I decided to try a "genuine" sauerbraten recipe. I lived in Germany and hated sauerbra..." See moreten I always refer to it as 'spoiled meat'. :-x But I decided to give him an old world dinner. HE LOVED IT. HE ATE SO MUCH. He rates this a "10". It was a bit hard to make. turning it every day was a pain but well worth it. It made my husband very happy. What more is there to life?"
"My dad "Otto" and mom "Trudy" are real Germans, born and raised and they approved of this recipe too Amy! Otto considers himself an expert on Sauerbraten, so I was a little nervous about making this f..." See moreor him. He hates when he orders it from a restaurant and they only sour the gravy and not the meat. Well, he went nuts over this fabulous dish!! I did add more seasonings to the marinade but those were the minor changes I made. I was happy to see that there was at least one sauerbraten recipe that called for marinating for five days. In a pinch you could get away with three. Any good German would laugh at anything less. Thanks so much Amy and Dad thanks you too!!!!"
Round Steak Sauerbraten
Just swipe to see more like this.