Traditional White Bread384 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“A delicious bread with a very light center with crunchy crust. You may substitute butter or vegetable oil for the lard if you wish.” - by Danialle
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x5 inch loaves
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in lard, salt and two cups of the flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 187 cal
- 2.7 g
- 34.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (384)Rate This Recipe
"I absolutely LOVE this bread recipe. I found it a year ago and never used another one since. I personally like to take the bread out 5 minutes before and brush melted butter on the top and let it fi..." See morenish the lasr 5 minutes of cooking. Thanks for this wonderful bread recipe!"
"This bread turned out wonderfully! Not too fluffy, but a nice, soft, tasty bread. I no longer buy my bread from the store, I use this instead! I substituted margarine for the lard, and it's still g..." See morereat! It doesn't get stale too quickly either!"
Grandma VanDoren's White Bread
Crusty White Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.