Basic Biscuits139 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 25 min
“This is a basic biscuit recipe with baking powder used as the leavening. They're easy to make and go with almost any meal.” - by lenihan5
Original recipe yields 8 to 12 biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour milk into flour mixture while stirring with a fork. Mix in milk until dough is soft, moist and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and toss with flour until no longer sticky. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet and cut with a floured biscuit or cookie cutter. Press together unused dough and repeat rolling and cutting procedure.
- Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 191 cal
- 10.9 g
- 20.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (139)Rate This Recipe
"For a great southern taste - grate very cold butter into the dry mixture and gently blend together. (This keeps the flour light and makes biscuits stay flaky) No need to knead, just carefully press t..." See moreo about 3/4" and cut, simply add enough flour to remove stickiness and definitely use butter instead of shortening. I have never had such a good biscuit!"
"EXCELLENT recipe!First time I ever made biscuits that weren't as heavy as rocks. My husband grew up on home made biscuits and thought they were as good as any he had ever eaten. Made 2 batches, one w..." See moreith milk and one with buttermilk, both turned out pretty much the same, we just prefer them made with buttermilk. Also, I make 4 batches at a time as they freeze really well. Just be sure to roll them in flour and lay on a tray flat in the freezer. When they have frozen I put them in a zipperer bags and store in freezer."
J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
Cheese Drop Biscuits
Just swipe to see more like this.