My Mom's Best Bread Pudding4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“The best old fashioned bread pudding ever, Please don't use substitutions, it may not turn out well! Enjoy!” - by DEVETAKI
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat milk until bubbles just begin to form at edges. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter and salt. Stir until sugar dissolves. Let stand until butter melts entirely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 4 quart casserole and dust generously with nutmeg.
- Tear bread apart, 2 slices at a time, into 2 inch pieces and stir into milk mixture. Gently stir beaten eggs into milk mixture. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle the surface with nutmeg.
- Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake 45 minutes, until center is almost set. Serve warm with hard sauce.
- Hard sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, 1/4 cup butter and 1 tablespoon nutmeg. Bring to a rolling boil, remove from heat and set aside until serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 636 cal
- 34 g
- 70.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"custard style bread pudding. Not bad. BUT there are less complicated ways to make bread pudding and there are other versions. AND i don't particularily like the "hard sauce" Its very nutmeggy.... the ..." See moreoverall bread pudding wasn't very sweet either.. If you dont already LOVE bread pudding I wouldn't suggest it"
"I guess this is an attempt at 'bread and butter' pudding that you might find in a British pub and the the sauce is not hard sauce. It's OK I guess, but I'll go back to other recipes both for bread ..." See morepudding and for bread and butter pudding - plus my hard sauce will always include irish whiskey (rum works well too if you like)"
Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce III
Microwave Raisin Bread Pudding
Just swipe to see more like this.