Squashed Washington10 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“It's style and substance in one dish. This delectable spaghetti squash is full of classic flavors placed in a modern arrangement. Sausage and spaghetti squash glazed over by sliced almonds and apples all baked in with a cover of Monterey Jack cheese seal in the flavor of this elegant dish and will impress your friends and family with its beautiful presentation. Make sure you're using apples from Washington!” - by travXrose
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Season the squash with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves with the cut side down into a glass baking dish. Pour the water into the dish.
- Bake the squash in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Scrape the squash with a fork into a bowl. Save the dish for later use. Keep the oven hot.
- Cook the Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet, reserving the oil, and set aside to cool. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the skillet and allow to get hot; cook and stir the onions and garlic in the hot oil until the garlic is browned and the onions are translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Chop the cooked sausage and add to the mixture along with the squash. Season with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to the glass baking dish.
- Arrange the apple slices over the mixture in the baking dish. Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over the apples. Scatter the almonds over the apples and sprinkle with the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the the cheese is melted completely, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 762 cal
- 53.3 g
- 41.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"A big hit!!! I cut the cooking time way down by piercing the squash with a fork 5 times then microwaving it for 12 minutes. I let it cool while I prepared the rest and then scooped out the seeds and a..." See moredded the rest to the skillet. I also left the peel on the apple and added a little bit of sage along with the oregano. This is a fantastic recipe using seasonal ingredients. Yum!"
"This was excellent. My garden has an abundance of squash that was mislabeled as zucchini. I don't really care for squash. Found this recipe and I will definitely make again. My husband loved it too, t..." See morehough he thought you should rename it "Squashington.""
"I was really surprised by how good this turned out. I was a little leery. It just sounded kind of different. Things I did different: I chopped the apples and sauted them with the onions and garlic. I ..." See moreused one onion, 2 cloves garlic, no oregano (ran out last night) and some mrs dash. I toasted the almonds and put some brown sugar on them and used a fabulous white cheese on top called "Dubliner" that I got at Sams Club. Surprisingly DELISH!"
Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Potato Bake
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
Just swipe to see more like this.