Popeye Fried Chicken19 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“This recipe is similar to that served at a famous restaurant chain.” - by BRAT2AT
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a shallow dish or bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, seasoning salt, paprika, baking soda, dressing mix, soup mix, spaghetti sauce mix and sugar. Place cereal crumbs in another shallow dish or bowl, and mix together eggs and water in a third shallow dish or bowl.
- Heat oil (1 inch deep) in a large skillet over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dip chicken pieces into dry coating mix, egg/water mixture, cereal crumbs, briefly into dry mix once more, then drop into hot oil skin side down. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes, then brown other side of each piece.
- Place browned chicken pieces in a 9x13 inch baking dish, skin side up, and cover dish with aluminum foil leaving one side open for escaping steam.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender and juices run clear. Remove cover and bake another 5 minutes to let coating become crisp; serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 733 cal
- 26.8 g
- 76.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"I thought this tasted NOTHING like Popeye's chicken, which my husband and I both love. Although it was edible, I can't say I enjoyed the taste of this chicken. Also, the coating did not stay of the ..." See morechicken very well even though I followed the recipe instructions to dip into the dry mixture a second time. I will not bother making this again. "
"I do not know what Popeye's you have ever eaten at, but this recipe is no where near close! I was raised on Popeye's Chicken so please believe me when I say do NOT mess up your good chicken creating t..." See morehis mess. I knew better when I had seen the ingredients, but ole' wishful me had to go check it out. Sorry I did. The only one who enjoyed this meal was my Pug. She eats anything."
"My husband grew up in DC, and I'm constantly hearing from him how Popeyes chicken is the bomb and how much he misses it. I am constantly trying to replicate it, which is no simple task since I was bo..." See morern and bred in Tennessee and have never had it. This chicken had a pretty good flavor, although even though I left one side of the foil open it came out rather greasy. I am only giving 2 stars because it was supposed to be like Popeyes, and although my hubby liked it, he said it was not like Popeyes. I guess I'll keep trying."
Fried Chicken with Creamy Gravy
Honey Fried Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.