Stuffed Leg of Lamb14 Reviews
- Prep: 35 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“Rolled leg of lamb stuffed with spinach, goat's cheese and pine nuts. Suggested: Serve with Brussels sprouts cooked in butter and fresh garlic. A scrumptious Irish cuisine that is sure to please!” - by Patrick
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Remove plastic netting or twine from around the leg of lamb, if any, and open up the roast on a cutting board. Place the boned side of the roast up. With a sharp paring knife, cut away any excess fatty areas. Use a sharp knife to cut 1/2-inch deep slits in the meat about 2 inches apart, to help the meat lie flat. Cover the meat with a sturdy piece of plastic wrap or a cut-apart food storage bag, and pound the meat with a mallet or the edge of a small plate until the roast is about 3/4 inch thick everywhere, and 10 to 14 inches square.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Sprinkle the upper side of the meat with salt and pepper, and then spread spinach leaves over the top of the roast to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Break up the goat cheese and sprinkle it evenly over the spinach, then sprinkle the pine nuts over the cheese.
- Roll the roast up into a tight cylinder, and tie the roast together with kitchen twine at 2 inch intervals. It's okay if a little stuffing protrudes from the sides of the roast.
- In a flat dish, mix together the flour, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of pepper, the thyme, and the fennel seeds, and press the tied roast firmly into the flour mixture to coat all sides.
- Heat the sesame oil in a heavy oven-proof or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers, and sear all sides of the roast, including the ends, to a golden brown color. Lay the roast into the skillet, place into the preheated oven, and roast to your desired degree of doneness, or an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (65 degrees C) for medium, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 485 cal
- 29.2 g
- 14.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"Fantastic recipe! Would've given it a 5 if I didn't find it a bit bland too, so instead of fennel I used my old "cure all" Montreal Steak Spice, on the outside. Perfect!..." See more"
"I eat lamb, and this looks amazing. I paired this with red skin mashed potatoes. I opted out on the fennel and used rosemary instead. I'm just not a big fan of fennel seeds...." See more"
Stuffed Leg of Lamb with Balsamic-Fig-Basil Sauce
Bacon-Wrapped Leg of Lamb with Red Wine Reduction
Just swipe to see more like this.