Apple Dumplings II97 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“A delectable serving of apple cinnamon delight! Serve warm with cream.” - by Beverley
Original recipe yields 6 dumplings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, water, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and food coloring. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening, using knives or pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in milk, all at once, and stir to form a dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 1/4 inch thick, 12x18 rectangle. Cut into 6 - 6 inch squares.
- Place a whole, peeled and cored apple in the center of each pastry square. Dust each apple with a mixture of the of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dot with a tablespoon of butter. Moisten the edges of the pastry square, bring the corners together at the top of the apple, and press edges together to seal. Place dumplings 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Pour the syrup over the dumplings and sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until apples are tender.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 805 cal
- 41.3 g
- 107.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (97)Rate This Recipe
"Loved the recipe, cut the apple ingredients in half and kept the dough as it was, then sliced the apples into quarters, making smaller dumplings and served it with ice cream. Everyone seemed to like t..." See morehis better."
"Reminds me of grandmas apple dumplings! Dough came out perfect and the syrup was very easy. I will be making more of these in the future!..." See more"
Country Apple Dumplings
Apple Dumplings II
Just swipe to see more like this.