Black Bean Soup with Rice and Sherry3 Reviews
- Prep: 8 hr
- Cook: 8 hr
- Ready In: 16 hr
“Takes a very long time -- but it's worth it.” - by SABAKA
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with several inches of water. Let soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans and place in a large pot over medium heat with beef broth, chicken broth, ham hock, onion, carrot, parsley, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain soup into a large saucepan, reserving bean mixture. Remove ham hock and discard. Puree bean mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir into reserved broth. Cook over low heat 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the last 20 minutes of cooking, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into six bowls. Top with cooked rice, a spoonful of sherry and a sprinkling of red onion.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 436 cal
- 9.3 g
- 66 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This is the BEST Black Bean Soup I have ever had! If it was like eating gruel your beans were probably not thoroughly cooked. Excellent recipe and thanks for sharing...." See more"
Fast and Delicious Black Bean Soup
Beezie's Black Bean Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.