Ghirardelli® Individual Chocolate Lava Cakes85 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 35 min
“Break into these individual chocolate cakes to find a lusciously melted soft chocolate center inside.” - by Ghirardelli®
Original recipe yields 6 cakes
- To make the centers, in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the 2 ounces of chocolate with the cream. Whisk gently to blend.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until firm. With your hands, form into six balls; refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray six 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray.
- To make the cakes, in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the 4 ounces of chocolate and the butter, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until thick and light. Fold the melted chocolate mixture and flour into the egg mixture just until combined. Spoon the cake batter into the ramekins. Place a chocolate ball in the middle of each ramekin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around the inside of each ramekin, place an upside-down plate on top, invert, and remove the ramekin. Garnish with raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 424 cal
- 33 g
- 31.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (85)Rate This Recipe
"Two tips for you: 1) An 11.5 oz. bag of Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips is about $3.99. A 4 oz. Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar is about $3.59. Therefore, ..." See moreif you buy the chips instead of the bar, you have almost enough chocolate to make this dessert on two different occasions (vs. having to buy two bars at about $3.59 each to make it once). If you use the chips, you'll be short 1/4 oz. of chocolate each time you make it, which is not a big deal, and the chips melt faster, too! 2) This recipe is delicious, but I gave it four stars because it's a lot of extra, unnecessary work to have to make the center mixture separately from the cake. There are many other recipes out there that are just as good that do NOT require you to do this. Other recipes simply have you melt the chocolate and butter in a double broiler, add the sugar, pour that mixture into the egg mixture, add the flour, put in ramekins and bake. And, if you bake it the proper number of minutes, you'll have a perfectly molten center just like this recipe, without having to refrigerate anything."
"I found this recipe in an ad in one of my magazines. I've made it many times, and my guests always ask for the recipe. It's wonderful and comes out great every time. I like spreading a little raspberr..." See morey sauce around the bottom of the plate to make a nice presentation and add a little something extra to the taste. I've even made the batter ahead of time, put it in the individual dishes, and then refrigerated it for several days. Pop it in the oven and they still come out great!"
"now I must admit, I really improvised; I did not want to leave my house just to buy ingredients.... so, the texture was great, the taste, ok. BUT definitely was b/c of my substitutions: had no Ghira..." See morerdelli choc, so used 45% cacao semi-sweet choc chips (365 brand) and had no heavy whipping cream, so used dry milk and made it very thick when adding the water (this mixture would not harden in the fridge, so stuck in the freezer for a few minutes, and turned out just ok). I subbed spelt flour with 1 T. of potato starch for the cake flour. The chocolate was way too sweet, so def. make sure you use the chocolate it calls for. Also, I baked it in regular cupcake tins (with liners) and baked for about 11 minutes (I had enough batter for 10 cupcakes). The consistancy of the "lava" did improve the longer I waited to eat it (about 10-15 minutes after it is removed from oven is perfect). And oh, if you are watching it bake, and the liquid in the middle starts to ooze out a little at the top, take out immediately, it was in there too long."
Ghirardelli(R) Classic White Chocolate Creme Brulee
Ghirardelli(R) Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Just swipe to see more like this.