Apple Yam Casserole79 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“What Americans call yams are actually a variety of sweet potato. Fragrant sweet potatoes layered with Granny Smith apples and topped with a sweet mixture of brown sugar and raisins make this a great recipe for all holidays, but best for Thanksgiving and Christmas.” - by PAI
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In the casserole dish, alternately layer the sweet potatoes and apples.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, cinnamon, raisins, butter and salt. Cook 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining water and flour. Combine with the brown sugar mixture. Pour over the sweet potatoes and apples. Place the lemon slices on top.
- Bake covered in the preheated oven 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes and apples are tender.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 180 cal
- 3.1 g
- 39.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (79)Rate This Recipe
"Great alternative to the traditional yams and marshmallow recipe. I have a few suggestions though. First, take the other reviewers advice and boil the sweet potatoes first since the apples do finish m..." See moreuch quicker. The sweet potatoes did take extra time to cook, longer than the stated time. Second, double up on the brown sugar and flour mixture. The casserole will be much sweeter and taste much better. Third, add more apples to the mixture. Otherwise, you hardly taste them. Furthermore, this is a great recipe and with the changes, I will be making this again!"
"DEFINITELY COOK THE SWEET POTATO **FIRST** BEFORE PLACING IT IN OVEN WITH APPLES. No matter how small you chop the potatoes, it ends up taking 3-4 times the amount of time specified without them being..." See more cooked beforehand. I also agree with a couple of reviewers who mentioned that the recipe for the sauce was too little. It may work well to make extra and add a little at a time. Otherwise, this tasted DELICIOUS!!!"
"Made this last Thanksgiving and just had a call requesting it again this year! I found the sweet potatoes and apples I purchased were HUGE! - so I doubled the rest of the recipee and used 2 casserole..." See more dishes. Before placing in oven I microwaved each dish 5 minutes then repeated another 5 minutes(alternating dishes). This helped with the complaint I read a few reviewers had with the potatoes not cooking through - and I only needed to cook them in the oven for 20 minutes total after that. It was a HIT!"
Sweet Potato Casserole II
Baked Yam and Potato Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.