Italian Christmas Bread with Eggnog Glaze5 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 10 min
“My husband fondly recalls the Anise Bread that his Italian grandmother used to make during the holidays. She evidently never had a recipe (and never used a bread machine!) so this is what I came up with for a quick, special Christmas bread. This rich bread has a wonderful aroma while baking.” - by Nancy Ann R.
Original recipe yields 1 2-pound loaf
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread hazelnuts evenly on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the nuts to a bowl, and let them cool.
- Place the eggnog, sugar, salt, butter, egg, egg yolk, bread flour, yeast, anise seed, and cinnamon into the bread machine. Program the machine for a basic cycle with the crust as "medium." Press start. Do not use the delay timer.
- Place the cooled toasted hazelnuts into the machine between Knead Cycle 1 and Knead Cycle 2. When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool on a rack.
- Prepare the glaze by combining the confectioners' sugar and eggnog in a bowl; mix well. It should be a drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze on the cooled bread before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 195 cal
- 7.2 g
- 28 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"This bread is so delicious and easy to make. I was afraid the with 2 T. of anise seed it would be a bit too much spice but it turned out so good!..." See more"
"Everyone loved this bread and the glaze was an extra special touch! I loved it warmed with honey butter!..." See more"
Italian Bread Using a Bread Machine
Eggnog Quick Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.