Stuffed Green Peppers99 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“When I was little, my family often ate meat-stuffed peppers. This veggie alternative came from my imagination.” - by GWILYN
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice with black beans and chili powder. Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the rice and bean mixture into the bottoms of the peppers. Lay a slice of cheese on top and repeat 3 more times, ending with cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until peppers soften, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Slice peppers in half, top with tomato sauce and serve.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 675 cal
- 32.7 g
- 59.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (99)Rate This Recipe
"I made a LOW CALORIE VERSION of this yummy recipe. First of all, I use just a small amount of brown rice. The vegetables have such a fanstastic flavor - the rice is just there to make it more fillin..." See moreg, but it is also highly caloric (and has little nutritional value). I used about 1/2 a slice of fat-free swiss in each pepper (waaay less than the recipe calls for), threw in a layer of raw mushrooms and onions (they cook themselves nicely in the juices), and topped the peppers with a few tablespoons of crushed tomatoes (healthier AND it lends a simple, delicious tomato flavor) and a tablespoon of fat-free sour cream to each. For us calorie-counters, this is a genius meal."
"I like regualr stuffed green peppers, but these blow the meat-filled ones away! I did some modifying though...I used black beans with chili and cumin spices in it, Hunts tomato sauce with basil, oreg..." See moreano, & garlic, and instant brown rice to save time. I also used only 1 slice of cheese (halved for layering) per pepper to cut calories. It turned out wonderful. A dallop of sour cream on top before serving enhanced the flavor even more. Thanks for the great recipe!"
"My family and I loooove this recipe and have made it many times! We make a few changes (like others have suggested): brown rice instead of white, usually we omit the swiss, and using the crushed tomat..." See moreo (as in another reviewer's comments) really adds the extra flavor needed. I, like the recipe poster, ate this meal with meat as a child, but we're close to vegetarians now. Thanks for this delicious version of a classic! It's highly recommended! Helpful hint: I insert 3 toothpicks into each pepper so they don't fall over while baking."
Stuffed Green Peppers I
Kelsey's Favorite Stuffed Green Peppers
Just swipe to see more like this.