Delicious Barley Bake9 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“Barley, chicken and tons of veggies baked in a delicious creamy sauce. Easily made vegetarian by removing the chicken and substituting a vegetable cream, condensed soup.” - by L Mac
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring the barley and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the celery, carrots, garlic, and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, and broccoli. Continue cooking and stirring until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- Combine cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, Locatella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, nutmeg, oregano, basil, and thyme in a large bowl, mixing until smooth. Stir in the prepared barley, peas, corn, roasted red peppers, spinach, and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Spread mixture into a large baking dish and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, and cheese has melted, 20 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 369 cal
- 15.5 g
- 38.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"Delicious and hearty! I skipped the cream cheese and locatella cheese, as I had never heard of this one, subbing for it asiago and adding a little more parmesan. Didn't do the roasted red peppers, b..." See moreut won't be skipping them next time as they probably would have added a great dimension."
"The most time consuming, expensive, and disastrous recipe I have ever made in 50 years of cooking. Way too much barley, recipe did not state whether to put the sauteed veggies into the casserole or n..." See moreot. I put them at the bottom of the casserole and the creamed cheese mixture on top. My husband rated this a 4 out of 10. He does not want any more. I have broken it into several pieces and placed in freezer bags. Will add to my homemade soups a bit at a time. The recipe ingredients looked so enticing. What a dissappointment. Used all the ingredients called for and followed the recipe. My adivce is not to bother."
Three-Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta Bake
Creamy Chicken Stuffing Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.