Sweet and Savory Slow Cooker Pulled Pork92 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 6 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 15 hr 5 min
“This is a sweet and savory pulled pork that combines many techniques for the best flavor. The slow cooker makes the meat fall off the bone!” - by strayredbolt
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place the pork shoulder roast into a large plastic bag, pour 1 cup of root beer over the meat, and squeeze out all the air from the bag. Seal the bag closed, and refrigerate 6 hours to overnight.
- The next day, mix together the light brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic salt, celery salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, and shake off the excess. Rub the meat all over with the spice mixture, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, 1 1/2 cups of root beer, whiskey, and brown sugar in a bowl, and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and sear the meat on all sides until the meat develops a brown crust, about 3 minutes per side. Place the seared meat into a slow cooker. Pour the balsamic vinegar-root beer mixture over the meat, set the slow cooker to High, and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred with 2 forks. Discard the bones and all but 1 cup of the liquid in the slow cooker. Return the shredded meat to the cooker, mix in the barbecue sauce, and let sit on Low until ready to serve. Serve piled on buns.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 485 cal
- 19.1 g
- 45.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (92)Rate This Recipe
"If you are not following the steps I really don’t think it is fair for you to rate the recipe. All reviews are helpful, but rating a recipe poorly after you clearly state that you didn’t follow the st..." See moreeps seems a little unfair."
"This was excellent, ingredient-wise, but written with far more steps than necessary. I skipped the marinating and browning steps entirely with excellent results, and just added the spices and seasoni..." See morengs to the liquid in which the pork was slow-cooked. I may reduce the amount of cinnamon next time I make it, though. My husband couldn't stop raving about this one!"
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker Mole-Style Pulled Pork
Just swipe to see more like this.