Macaroni Salad Virginia Style3 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“A macaroni salad that utilizes tarragon vinegar for a delicious tangy taste. For optimum flavor, chill the salad 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.” - by RCOMP
Original recipe yields 6 cups
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together butter, tarragon vinegar, flour and egg. Stirring continuously, heat 10 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, prepare the sauce by combining the tarragon vinegar mixture with mayonnaise.
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and pour into the bowl with the sauce. Stir until the macaroni is well coated.
- Mix the coated macaroni with the eggs, cucumber, tomato, green bell pepper and salt.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 244 cal
- 18.5 g
- 15.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This salad was good, but nothing that I would move to Virginia for. I made two little modifications - first, I hard-cooked my eggs by boiling them for 12 minutes instead of letting them sit covered i..." See moren the hot water. I just find that cooks them through better. Also, my cooked mixture was a little lumpy - I may have heated it too fast and accidentally cooked the eggs in it. So I blended it in the blender with the mayonnaise, which helped make the texture of the dressing nice and creamy. I did like the taste of the fresh veggies, and I could taste the tarragon vinegar, which was a nice touch, so all in all, I'd probably make it again, but it wouldn't be the first recipe I'd reach for."
"My hubby and I agreed that this needed just a little more flavor and a little less mayo. I did add some green onions upon serving, but I'm thinking that the salad dressing from the Chicken and Snap P..." See moreea Wild Rice Salad would have been perfect with this. Would that make it not a Virginia Style? Not sure. At least this recipe will be a good base for us! Thank you!"
Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Macaroni Salad
Simple Macaroni Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.