Calico Squash Casserole159 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“My great-aunt made this for a family gathering and it's been a hit ever since, even with the kids! The water chestnuts add a different texture and my husband has even used whole baby carrots instead of shredded carrot. Easy and fast to make and a good way to use up all that squash from the garden!” - by DIXYDAHL1N
Original recipe yields 8 to 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan combine yellow squash, zucchini, onion, green onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well and spread half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl combine soup, water chestnuts, carrots, mayonnaise, pimentos, sage, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in squash mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then the remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm and heated through.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 401 cal
- 33.7 g
- 20 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (159)Rate This Recipe
"My taste buds are still dancing!!!! This dish was fantastic even though I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. I couldn't put the carrots in because I'm allergic, didn't have water chestnuts, didn..." See more't have pimento, so I subbed with a small can of green chilies. I threw in some garlic and onions powders along with a little cayenne for a bit of a kick. The Ritz cheese crackers I had seemed to work well. In lieu of cheddar I used grated parm. Even without the suggested ingredients, this recipe was superb. My youngest daughter didn't even bother with the hamburgers my hubby made. No leftovers! (darn) Thanks so much!!!!"
"I made this last night for our annual family Christmas party. My cynical relatives (especially the men) turned their noses up when they heard the list of ingredients, but they ate their words - and m..." See morey ENTIRE dish - once it was on the table. It was voted the best dish of the day! My only note is that it definitely does not take only 10 minutes to prepare and I had to cook it about twice the length of time the recipe called for. It turned out perfectly though!"
"I followed the recipe exactly.The mayonnaise & cream of mushroom soup completely take over the flavor of this recipe. Neither my boyfriend or I cared this recipe. How sad. Was nothing like other yumm..." See morey squash casserole dishes i have enjoyed in the past. bummer (update) i just wanted to add, that i am still teased about making this recipe, my boyfriend refers to is as that 'hot mayonaisse casserole thing'."
Yellow Squash Casserole
Squash Casserole I
Just swipe to see more like this.