- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 2 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 5 min
“Chicken broth adds a subtle depth to this already rich and abundant homemade bread. You will love it for making chicken sandwiches.” - by Campbell's Kitchen
Original recipe yields 2 loaves
- Heat the broth and water in a 1-quart saucepan over low heat until warm but not hot. Place the yeast into a large bowl. Add the broth mixture and stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add 3 eggs, oil, salt and sugar to the bowl and beat with a fork or whisk. Stir in the flour. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with butter or oil. Add the dough and turn to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Punch down the dough. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll each into a 12-inch rope. Place 3 ropes side-by-side on a greased baking sheet. Begin to braid in the middle of the ropes and braid to one end. Turn the baking sheet around and braid from the middle to the other end. Repeat with the remaining ropes. Brush the loaves with the egg. Cover and let rise in a warm place for1 hour or until the loaves are doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown. Remove the loaves from the baking sheets and let cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 167 cal
- 2.9 g
- 29.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Oh My Goodness! This is a really good version of Challah bread. My boyfriend is Jewish and he loved it. I made it exactly as written and I am keeping it that way. It was loved and appreciated by all...." See more Thank you so much for this recipe."
"Campbell's you do many things well, however THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Chicken broth has NO place in challah. Challah is supposed to be a sweet egg bread. I know challah, and this is not it...." See more"
Sausage, Egg and Chile Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.