Overnight Asparagus Mushroom Strata38 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 9 hr 15 min
“This recipe of my mom's is a colorful make-ahead dish that makes brunch a breeze! Substitute the asparagus with other veggies such as broccoli or zucchini, or add a cup of cooked diced ham or sausage for a non-vegetarian twist.” - by Shandeen
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the mushrooms until their liquid has mostly evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, and arrange 8 muffin halves, cut sides up, in the bottom of the dish. Stuff pieces of remaining muffins into the spaces between the halves. Spread 1 cup of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese over the muffins in a layer, and distribute the asparagus pieces, mushrooms, red pepper, and onion over the cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, and black pepper in a bowl, and pour the egg mixture over the muffins and vegetables. Cover the dish, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes. Spread 1 cup of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese in a layer over the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 349 cal
- 18.9 g
- 24.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (38)Rate This Recipe
"I used Thomas' Better Start Light Multi-Grain English Muffins, 2% milk, & Kraft 2% shredded Colby-Jack cheese. It dropped the calories per serving to 270 and dropped the fat to 12 grams per serving (2..." See more2 carbs, 20 grams protein)."
"This was downright tasty. 5 stars for ease, ingredients on hand and the low amount of prep time involved. After reading through the reviews, I consolidated the best changes and I am so glad I did. ..." See moreCooked the onions with the mushrooms and added crookneck squash (before it went bad in the fridge as I hate to waste food). Added a 1/2 tsp of onion powder and a tbsp of hot sauce to the eggs. Forgot to toast the english muffins, and the strata still turned out fabulous. Served to 11 women on the last day of our Girl's Weekend and every single one of them asked for the recipe. Now that's my idea of success!!! Thanks Shandeen for a wonderful recipe!!!"
Yada yada yada
"Wow, the best new recipe I've tried in a while. This recipe prompted me to get an allrecipes sign on so I could give a rating. 5 + stars! I halved the portions and prepared it in a 8x8 pan as suggest..." See moreed by another reviewer, baked for 45 minutes and it came out perfectly. The only thing I did different than the directions was cook the onions - added them to the mushrooms when they were about 2/3 done. So simple. Would be a very impressive brunch dish."
Cream of Asparagus and Mushroom Soup
Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata
Just swipe to see more like this.