White Cheddar Macaroni with Bacon and Thyme8 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This is a delicious twist on an old family recipe. I never thought the result of my boredom could be so scrumptious. My family couldn't stop raving about it!” - by Rebekah
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese around the inside of the dish.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the penne uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Place the bacon pieces into a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Retain 1/4 cup of bacon drippings. Set the bacon pieces aside.
- Melt butter and bacon drippings together in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour, stirring frequently until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in the thyme, salt, and pepper, and then whisk in 1/4 cup Parmesan and 3 cups Cheddar cheese, stirring constantly until the Cheddar cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Stir the cooked penne pasta into the cheese sauce, then lightly mix in the cooked bacon. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese over the top. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pasta is hot and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, and turn on the broiler. Remove the foil, and broil the dish until the cheese topping is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 672 cal
- 34.6 g
- 55.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"This is a definite keeper! Although I served this as a side dish with chicken, it would easily stand alone as a main course. I halved the recipe and baked in an 8x8 casserole dish...." See more"
"I changed it by adding 2 grilled chicken breasts as well. My husband says it wasn't cheesy enough for him. I think it needed more flavor-maybe some garlic and rosemary would have been good. A good sta..." See morert though:)"
Old School Mac n' Cheese
Easy Weeknight Bacon Mac 'n Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.