Sri Lanka Beef Curry8 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“This beef curry uses roasted curry powder.” - by Rob
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Rinse the beef and pat dry. Crush the garlic cloves into a paste and combine it with the crushed ginger. Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, roasted curry powder, and cayenne. Mix in the beef cubes and toss to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the curry leaves and pandan strips. Stir in the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and cloves. Add the tomato paste and water and mix well.
- Simmer, covered, on low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Check the curry every half hour; you may need to add more water (up to 1 cup) if the curry is too dry and is sticking to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 627 cal
- 45.1 g
- 7.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"A great curry! I followed the recipe to the letter, most of my meals are curry, this one was spot on...." See more"
"I'm Sri Lankan, this curry is as authentic as they come. If you don't have canned tomato you can sustitute chopped fresh tomato instead...." See more"
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Spicy Beef Curry Stew for the Slow Cooker
Just swipe to see more like this.