Moravian Sugar Coffee Cake5 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“This recipe has been passed through many generations. It makes a large cookie sheet of light and buttery treats. The recipe has been adapted for use with the dough cycle on a bread machine. Then it's baked in the oven after rising. Try it once and you'll get many requests for 'Sugar Cake.'” - by SCHMOIEB
Original recipe yields 18 servings
- Place potatoes and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water, and mash. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place mashed potatoes, reserved water, salt, sugar, mace, 1/2 cup butter, egg, flour and yeast in the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Pat dough onto a greased 11x13 inch baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine the dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and chilled butter in a food processor and pulse until butter is the size of coarse crumbs.
- Poke several medium holes in the dough and fill with brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle the dough with a few drops of evaporated milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cake's edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 262 cal
- 12.1 g
- 35.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"My family is from the Winston-Salem area of NC. My great grandmother used to make this. It has been one of my favorite treats since I was little. Now my mom makes sure she brings me some back from O..." See moreld Salem everytime she goes back to visit. Now I can make it myself and have it whenever I want. It taste just like grandma's."
"I am not sure what exactly went wrong with this recipe, but it did not work out well at all. The dough rose out of control. There are several things that appear to have been incorrect: too much yea..." See morest (most recipes would call for 2 teaspoons, not tablespoons; too much sugar for a yeast bread; incorrect pan size or description. A 9X13 baking PAN would probably worked better than a 9X13 baking SHEET. I may try this recipe again, but would like to know if I misinterpreted"
Sugar Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.