Charleston Red Rice7 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“Yummy, and easy to make.” - by DJBPITT
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring the rice, water, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Drain the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels; crumble the bacon once cooled enough to handle.
- Cook and stir the onions in the reserved bacon drippings until translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the crumbled bacon, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce; bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon the cooked rice into the prepared baking dish and stir the tomato-bacon mixture into the rice until evenly combined.
- Cover the dish and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 331 cal
- 10.1 g
- 51.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"This was an easy 5 stars with a few adjustments. I added a can of diced tomatoes to go with all that tomato flavor. It seemed like it was really missing something as far as herbs or spices so I also..." See more added Cajun seasoning. Since I scaled it down, instead of fractioning a dash of hot sauce, I used red pepper flakes. Will definitely make this again!"
"I love this recipe, not sure why there are not more reviews, this is a great rice dish..." See more"
Arroz Rojo (Mexican Red Rice)
Authentic, No Shortcuts, Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.