Pepper Bread4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“This recipe was passed on to me by my aunt; we used to beg for her to make this as children. The pepper is slight in comparison to the overall taste. The brushed egg yolk mixture gives the bread a crunchier outside and soft inside.” - by jbertsch
Original recipe yields 12 rolls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a tube pan.
- Stir together 3 cups of flour, the sugar, pepper, yeast, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Heat water and margarine to 130 degrees F (54 degrees C) in a saucepan over low heat. Pour the hot water-margarine mixture into the flour; quickly stir a few strokes to combine. Stir in 1 egg, beat the mixture to form a loose batter, and stir in 1 1/2 cups of flour. Knead the dough on a floured work surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal-sized pieces, form them into rolls, and place them into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set the pan into a sink of hot water (about 115 degrees F/46 degrees C) until the rolls have doubled in size, about 15 minutes. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water until thoroughly combined; brush the dough with the beaten egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 217 cal
- 4 g
- 38.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Great taste! I made this with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour and honey instead of sugar. I love the light airy texture!..." See more"
"the bread bakes as one. Think of this recipe like that of a monkey bread. Once the individual pieces rise, it will bake as a whole loaf. Hope that helps you...." See more"
"hey this is a really good recipe...the dh and sil really like them...well me too...they turned out nice and fluffy and soft and kinda crispy on the outside...i did the dough thingy in the bread machin..." See moree and then made them into regular buns and put into a 9 x 13 pan...added two extra teaspoons of pepper but will add one more (=5) next time...(we LUV course ground blk pep) and i used olive oil instead of margarine...for sure will recommend and make again...thanks for sharing the recipe..."
Herb Batter Bread
Chef John's Pita Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.