Lemon Meringue Cake14 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 30 min
“If you like lemon meringue pie, you will love this recipe.” - by Lisa
Original recipe yields 1 layer cake
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 8-inch cake pans.
- Mix the cake mix, water, eggs, and vegetable oil as directed on the package, and pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake the layers in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan at least 20 minutes or until completely cool.
- When the cake is completely cool, run a paring knife between the cake and the edge of the pan. Hold the cake pan on its side and gently tap the sides of the pan against the counter to loosen it. Cover the cake pan with a plate or cooling rack, and invert it to tip the cake out of the pan and onto the plate.
- To fill and decorate, lay a cake layer onto an oven-safe plate, and spread half the lemon filling over the bottom layer. Place a second layer gently on the lemon filling, and spread the rest of the filling on the top of the second layer. Top with third layer.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl until they form stiff peaks, then gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture forms a fluffy, shiny meringue. Spread the meringue all over the cake like a frosting, spreading it into decorative peaks and swirls. Place the decorated cake back into the hot oven, and bake until the peaks and swirls of meringue are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight, then serve cold.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 552 cal
- 18.8 g
- 88.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"I love this cake, but I made mine a little different. I made regular cake mix and made the filling from scratch. But all in all, this is one of my family's favorite. P.S. I hope you don't mind me addi..." See moreng a picture of my cake."
"This is so delicious! Didn't change a thing, perfect as is. Separate your eggs when they are cold and let the egg whites sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. They will have more fluff to them when ..." See moreyou whip them. Add sugar only at the end in small amounts at a time."
Creamy Lemon Cake
Low-Fat Lemon Raspberry Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.