Jean's Swedish Faux Meatballs11 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“This is a recipe that was handed down by my Mother-in-Law. It is a delicious twist on a 'comfort' food!” - by COURTNEYSUNSHINE
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, pepper, nutmeg and milk. Stir in burger-style crumbles until well blended. Form into 1 1/2 balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the 'meat' balls in butter. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Whisk flour into drippings in skillet; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and cream and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce thickens and boils, about 1 minute. Pour over 'meat' balls .
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 560 cal
- 16.7 g
- 21.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"Upon reading the reviews of others, I decided to add 2 eggs to the mix in hopes that this would help hold the meatballs together, which it did! I also added a little bit of cardamom and all spice to ..." See morethe mix. This recipe is SO delicious! I definitely love the sauce as well. My husband and I ate the whole pan between the two of us. Poured over some egg noodles, it's almost like eating stroganoff. I absolutely would make this recipe again. It is definitely comfort food for the soul."
"This was so incredibly delicious! I did make a few changes that did the trick. Instead of using burger-style crumbles, I used "Gimme Lean Sausage." (100% vegetarian. It's a soy protein. I found it at ..." See moreTrader Joes) To that I added the nutmeg, onion, and pepper, and crumbed up toast. I did cut down the milk to 1/2 a cup. For the sauce I did have a bit of trouble but to solve that I added cold cubed butter and a bit more flour whisking that all together. Served everything over buttered noodles. It was just awesome! I will for sure make this over and over again!"
Swedish Meatballs (Svenska Kottbullar)
Mum's Swedish Meatballs
Just swipe to see more like this.