Outrageously Buttery Crumb Cake43 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This simple crumb cake is the BEST I ever tasted. The cake is so moist, and there is a ton of buttery crumb topping to die for. It's my aunt's recipe from the 1970's (hence the 1 pound of butter) and therefore of uttermost decadence, but oh so addictive! I've made this recipe so many times, with so many compliments. I basically eyeball the measurements now (I like a lot of cinnamon) but below is the original recipe. ” - by rgilmore212
Original recipe yields 1 12x18-inch sheet cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12x18-inch jellyroll pan.
- Beat the yellow cake mix, water, eggs, and 1/2 cup softened butter together with an electric mixer in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour the cake batter into the prepared jellyroll pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the cake are light brown but the middle of the cake is still slightly gooey, 15 to 17 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, butter, and flour together in a large bowl until the mixture forms medium crumbs. Remove the cake from the oven, and press about 3/4 of the crumb topping onto the top of the almost-baked cake. Reserve the remaining topping.
- Return the cake to the oven, and bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes, until the crumb topping is firm and the cake is cooked all the way through.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and sprinkle with the remaining crumb topping. Let the cake cool to room temperature, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 559 cal
- 28 g
- 71 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (43)Rate This Recipe
"Yum....I was looking for a classic crumb cake and this was great, esp if you are a "more crumb. less cake" person. I added all crumbs to bake at once instead adding the rest later. I'll add a little ..." See moremore cinnamon next time."
"I used to make this cake all the time and lost the recipe years ago. Only difference - I use the "butter" cake mix. This is the best crumb cake. Thanks for posting...." See more"
"I've been making this cake for some time with a few tweaks. I always use a 13 x 9 pan but add one and a half cans of Comstock fruit filling (cherry, blueberry and apple seem to always be the biggest ..." See morehits) on top of the baked cake, then press the crumb mixture on top of that..and bake the rest of the way. Thank you for jogging my memory about the vanilla extract. Doing it from memory..the crumb mixture seemed to be missing something. Now I know! I get rave reviews on this fruit crumbcake at work!"
Michelle's Honeybun Cake
Raspberry-Sour Cream Crumb Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.