Chicken Chimichangas with Sour Cream Sauce234 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“I am not generally a fan of chimichangas at restaurants, but this had me going back for seconds. It is easy to prepare the meat ahead of time and then have a very quick meal in a pinch.” - by SSTRAWDER
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place the chicken breasts into a large saucepan. Pour in the water, and season with chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in 4 ounces of green chiles, onion, and garlic; continue simmering until the liquid has reduced to 1 cup. Reserve remaining 3 ounces of chopped green chilies. Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, and return to the onion mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the water and bouillon cube until the water has thickened and the bouillon cube has dissolved, about 4 minutes. Whisk in reserved 3 ounces of green chilies and the sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place a tortilla onto your work surface, then spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken filling halfway between the bottom edge and the center of the tortilla. Flatten the filling into rectangle shape with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle about 1 ounce of the Monterey Jack cheese over the filling. Fold the bottom of the tortilla snugly over the filling, then fold in the left and right edges. Roll the chimichanga up to the top edge, forming a tight cylinder; secure the ends with wooden toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook the chimichangas, 2 at a time, in the hot oil until they are crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, and remove toothpicks. Top with sour cream sauce to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 506 cal
- 30 g
- 33.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (234)Rate This Recipe
"AMAZING! Followed the recipe to the tee with the exception of baking at 425 degrees for 15 minutes vs. deep frying...." See more"
"This was very good. I was patient and let the sauce cook down. I added some green Tabasco sauce to the sour cream sauce, too. Instead of frying, I brushed the whole thing with olive oil and baked i..." See moren my convection toaster oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, turned over and baked 5 more minutes. So good!!"
"This turned out really, really well. I knew the sour cream sauce had to be good, but wasn't too sure what to expect otherwise. I would recommend frying them a little longer than 1 minute on each sid..." See moree--they came out a little bit cool, so I threw them in for another minute per side. If you end up going with the full 3 cups of water, it will take a while to boil down, but it is totally worth the wait. Will definitely be making again."
Chicken with Prosciutto Spinach Cream Sauce
Chicken With Sweet and Sour Fig Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.