Real Strawberry Cupcakes94 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Most strawberry cake recipes ask you to use artificially flavored gelatin. This one uses only uses fresh ingredients. Also makes a great cake!” - by drewface
Original recipe yields 12 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray cupcake cups with cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners.
- Place 8 strawberries into a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour the puree through a strainer to remove seeds. Puree should equal about 3/4 cup. Set the puree aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, white sugar, vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, lemon zest, and strawberry puree until well combined. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla pudding mix (for a moister cupcake), and red food coloring to reach a desired shade of pink. Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cupcakes have risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool at least 10 minutes before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth, and mix in confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to make a lump-free icing. Frost each cupcake with about 2 tablespoons of icing, and top each cupcake with a strawberry slice.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 295 cal
- 14.1 g
- 39 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (94)Rate This Recipe
"Really sorry about the frosting. It should read 1/2 cup cream cheese instead of 3/4 cup; I mistyped...." See more"
"I was so pleased with how these turned out and darned proud to serve them too. Everything about them was right. At first glance, they're pretty and inviting, just tempting you to pick one up and take..." See more a bite. The top of the cupcake has a slight crispiness to it, similar to a pound cake. The cake is moist and full of fresh flavor, tho' I did my best to ensure that by eliminating the lemon zest and adding 1/2 tsp. of strawberry extract. I did use the pudding mix and I swear it makes a difference in terms of moistness (and it's a much cheaper alternative to the cake enhancer King Arthur Flour sells). I did alter the frosting as I wanted something sweeter and not quite as tangy as I knew only 1/2 cup of powdered sugar would make this. I also wanted more of it. So - I used a full package of cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 tsp. strawberry extract and a tablespoon or two of pureed strawberries which gave it a delicate strawberry flavor and a pretty pink blush. Rather than garnishing with sliced strawberries I used whole strawberries so they wouldn't bleed into the frosting. Simply loved 'em - nothing about these not to like, particularly with the modifications I made for extra strawberry flavor."
"I hate to give a bad review, but unfortunately these are not cupcakes. They are muffins - dense and bread-y. The strawberry flavour didn't come out at all and I did not end up bringing them to the soc..." See moreial function I made them for because they really didn't taste that good. Now I know to give these recipes a trial run first. Sorry."
Buffalochef's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.