Grilled Portobello Sandwich with Roasted Red Pepper and Mozzarella18 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“I had this once in a restaurant, and have spent a while trying to recreate it. Please enjoy.” - by acherry53400
Original recipe yields 4 sandwiches
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Place the red bell pepper onto the preheated grill, and grill until the skin is completely charred on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Place the pepper into a paper bag, seal the bag, and let the pepper cool. When cooled, remove the charred skin, slice the pepper into quarters, and remove the seeds. Thinly slice the pepper and set aside.
- Mix salt and pepper into the olive oil in a small bowl. Brush the smooth side of the mushrooms with the seasoned oil, and grill, oiled side down, until the mushrooms show grill marks, about 3 minutes. Brush the gill sides of the mushrooms with more seasoned olive oil, flip the mushrooms, and grill until the mushrooms are softened and juicy, about 3 more minutes. Set the mushrooms aside and keep warm.
- Lightly grill the slices of onion until softened and lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Spread the rolls out onto the grill to toast, about 1 minute. Mix the mayonnaise and roasted garlic in a bowl.
- Spread each roll with garlic mayonnaise, and make each sandwich with 1 mushroom cap, 1 ounce sliced mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of tomato, 4 basil leaves, 1 slice of grilled onion, and 1/4 the roasted red pepper slices. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 520 cal
- 38.8 g
- 32 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (18)Rate This Recipe
"I combined the olive oil , several cloves of minced fresh garlic, salt and pepper together and brushed it onto the portobellos. I guess the above mixture was a brush-on marinade. I put the portobellos..." See more aside while I prepared the other ingredients and then broiled the cap side first for about 2 minutes and the gill side, stacked with roasted red peppers, basil, cheese and tomato for about 5 minutes. I served these with the allrecipes.com Burger or Hot Dog Buns and these sandwiches came out great."
"Unbelieveable! Restaurant quality. I roasted a yellow pepper (only thing I had) and used one side of an everything bagel (again, only thing I had) and it was unbelieveable!! Didn't change anything ..." See moreelse! Can't wait to make it again!"
"Did some shopping yesterday and found some really nice portobello's and with nearly all other ingredients on hand, decided to give this recipe a try. I used thinly sliced red onion, a bit of garlic po..." See morewder, forgot I was out of the fresh and tomatoes and basil out of my garden. The sandwiches were delicious and well seasoned. Very flavorful, easy, and a great substitute for a meatless meal. Adding this to our list of favorites. Thank you for sharing!"
Grilled Roasted Red Pepper and Ham Sandwich
Roasted Portobello Mushroom Fettuccine
Just swipe to see more like this.