Zwetschekuchen (German Plum Tart)8 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 15 min
“This is the plum cake or tart that my Grossmutter made. It is delicious, and any fruit can be substituted for the plums. Therefore it is a seasonally great! It's a Southern German dessert from the Zweibrucken area. My daughter requested this for her 'birthday cake' when she turned 7; it was a hit at her party! Top with whipped cream. My personal favorite version is to alternate plum and nectarine slices.” - by alemana
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch tart
- Place the flour, 1 1/3 cup of sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon, and butter into the work bowl of a food processor, and process until the mixture turns grainy. Stop the machine, add eggs and egg yolks, and process in the machine until the mixture gathers itself up into one dough ball. If the dough doesn't ball up, stop the machine, sprinkle several drops of water onto the dough, and process again. Place the dough into a covered container and refrigerate at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes to warm up.
- Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface to make a 9 1/2-inch circle. Dough will be rich and sticky. Scrape up the dough circle, and press into a 9-inch pie dish. Quarter and slice the plums, and place skin sides down onto the dough in a neat ring, starting at the outer edge and working in a neat row towards the center.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the plums are bubbling hot and the crust starts to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Allow the tart to cool, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar before serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 451 cal
- 17.6 g
- 68.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"My german mother (and grandmother) always added a struesel topping for added goodness and then a dusting of powdered sugar...." See more"
"It is important to use ripe Plums! Otherwise it will taste sour, most People dont know how good Plums can taste because they are eating sour unripe Plums. Also for added sweetness its typical to make ..." See moresugar crumbes to put on top."
Just swipe to see more like this.