Southwestern Lasagna5 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 45 min
“Here's a wonderful, meaty lasagna with a true southwestern flavor. You won't find this one in any Italian cookbook!” - by WileyP
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Place the tomatoes, green chiles, jalapenos, onion, garlic, cilantro, and cumin in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the onion is soft, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the chorizo. Cook and stir until the chorizo is crumbly, and evenly browned. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir together the ricotta cheese and eggs. Set aside.
- To assemble, spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread the sausage over the tomato sauce. Pour 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the sausage and sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese over the top of the sauce. Arrange a layer of noodles lengthwise over the cheese. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles and place another layer of noodles over the ricotta. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and shredded cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is browned, about 15 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 718 cal
- 49.7 g
- 30.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great recipe to start with. I did make a couple of changes though: I used about 1.25lb gound turkey and 1.3lb of mexican chorizo sausage (I didn't want all that fat in there). I also added ..." See moremore cumin, some paprika and chili podwer. Instead of ricotta, I used cottage cheese (since that's what I do with my regular Italian lasagna). In addition to the cobly jack I used, I added pepper jack to the ricottta/egg mixture. And for an additional crunch I added a can of corn to the sauce. This had kick and turned out AWESOME. I can't wait to make it again (since after eating 2 pieces, I dropped the entire lasagna pan). Thank!"
"Great fresh flavor with just enough heat. I did cut the recipe in half but next time I will prepare the whole thing. It is soooo good! Thanks for posting Wiley..." See more"
Extra-Easy Spinach Lasagna
Southwestern Chicken Lasagna
Just swipe to see more like this.