Mama Chiarello's Stuffed Eggplant7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“In this Italian-inspired dish, eggplant halves are filled with a savory mixture of browned beef, bell pepper, fresh herbs, cheese and bread crumbs, then topped with tomatoes and more cheese and baked until tender.” - by Progresso®
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked. Chop eggplant that has been scooped out of the inside; place in saucepan, cover with water and boil until very soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper the beef. Add the seasoned ground beef to the pan, and saute until all of its liquid is evaporated and the beef begins to brown slightly. Let cool briefly, and chop the cooked beef so that there are no large chunks of meat. In another medium saute pan over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and saute the onion, pepper and garlic together in the oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked eggplant, vegetables, beef, herbs, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs and the egg. Fill the scooped-out eggplant halves with this mixture, dividing it evenly between the two halves.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs, and season with salt and pepper. Place on an oiled oven tray or baking dish, and bake for 50 minutes. Let cool briefly; slice widthwise and serve.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 547 cal
- 33.1 g
- 36.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!!! I made a few changes to this recipe just to keep it extra healthy. I used ground turkey in place of the beef, I used fine oat bran, instead of panko, egg white instead of the e..." See moregg with the yolk, and I used Veggie Italian cheese blend over the top and Veggie sprinkled parm cheese. It was so good, My husband absolutely loved it! He wants to try this same recipe in a Portabella mushroom next time."
"I literally just finish eating this creation, Im still soaking in the enjoyment of this meal. Very delicious. Not only is the meal great but the recipe is easy to follow and very discriptive. Definetl..." See morey going to keep this one in the family recipe box."
"Good! There is certainly no reason to dirty as many pans as the instructions tell you to. I sauteed the ground beef with garlic/red pepper (skipped the onion), drained and set aside. Added the chopped..." See more eggplant and some chopped mushrooms to the same pan and sauteed in a little olive oil. Then mixed it all together along with the egg, cheese, Panko, herbs, etc. Loved the Panko on top. I think I'll make this again with Italian sausage sometime. Thanks :)"
Chiarello's Chicken and Pastina Soup
Turkey Scallopini and Squash Ravioli with Cranberry Brown Butter
Just swipe to see more like this.