Daisy Brand Sour Cream Chocolate Cake41 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“This chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting is extra rich and moist from a generous addition of sour cream!” - by Daisy Brand
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch baking pans; set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl add vegetable oil, egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Beat at medium speed until well mixed (1 minute). Add brown sugar and granulated sugar; continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 minute). Add the melted chocolate. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 minute).
- In small bowl stir together flour, 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to chocolate mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Add 1 cup sour cream; mix well. Pour into prepared pans and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean (about 30 to 35 minutes). Remove cakes from the oven; cool 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl add 1/2 cup softened butter; beat at high speed until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add 2/3 cup cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon vanilla; continue beating, scraping bowl often, until mixture is creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the milk and 1/4 cup sour cream; continue beating, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
- Place one cake, flat side up, on the bottom of a serving plate. Place about 1 cup frosting in the center of the cake. Spread to about 1/2-inch from the edge of the cake. Place the second cake, flat side up, on top of the frosted first layer. Frost the sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish if desired.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 588 cal
- 28.9 g
- 81.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (41)Rate This Recipe
"This cake is amazing! Super moist. I am not a very good baker, however I am happy to say this recipe turned out great. I put the baked cakes into the freezer for 1/2 hour before frosting them -- it m..." See moreade frosting a bit easier."
"Good cake! We enjoyed it very much. It was a bit too sweet for our taste though. This time I made it according to the recipe with one exception I had to substitute vanilla extract for rum (did't rea..." See morelize I was out of vanilla), but it ended up being very tasty. Next time when I make this cake I will slice it on 4 layers and add frosting in between 2 layers of cream cheese frosting. Also will add less sugar."
Traditional Beef Burritos
Double Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.