Mom's Hot Dog Boats11 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“This is an old family recipe....My kids love it. They usually eat 3 to 4 hot dogs each. You could even make this a vegetarian meal by substituting your favorite vegetarian ingredients. You can use any type of hot dogs or sausages that you would like.” - by momto3boys
Original recipe yields 8 hot dogs
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Return to the pot, and mash with the milk, butter, salt, and pepper.
- While the potatoes are boiling, place the hot dogs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then keep warm on low until the potatoes have been mashed.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Cut the hot dogs down the center, leaving the two halves attached (like a hot dog bun). Stuff the hot dogs with mashed potatoes and place into a baking dish. Place half a slice of cheese on top of each hot dog.
- Broil in the preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly and has melted, about 1 minute.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 442 cal
- 25 g
- 42.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"We have been making these forever! My mom mad ethem when we were growing up! You don't need to preboil the hot dogs! Slice the dogs as stated or you can also use sausage dogs and put them under the..." See more broiler on a baking sheet - browning both sides. Then put the flat side down. We add a good squeeze of mustard before putting the potatoes on. I grate 1-2 cups of cheddar cheese into the mashed potatoes (opt.) when I am mashing them and then cover the dogs with a long scoop of the potatoes and place a slice of cheddar cheese on top and put them back under the broiler until the cheese melts. No need for boiling the dogs or transferring anything to the casserole dish. casserole dish!"
Chicago-Style Hot Dog
Momma's Hot Dog Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.