Butternut Squash and Shiitake Mushroom Wild Rice Risotto11 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“A pretty fall risotto with lots of color and texture. This dish makes a great meatless main course or an elegant side dish.” - by LoveNRoquette
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Combine the shiitake mushrooms and water in a bowl, assuring the mushrooms are covered with water; allow to soak until the mushrooms have softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and reserve the liquid for later use.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Toss the butternut squash, olive oil, and maple syrup together in a bowl until the squash is evenly coated. Spread onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the squash in the preheated oven until tender yet retains its shape, about 30 minutes; set aside.
- Bring the vegetable stock and the reserved liquid from the mushrooms to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; when the butter begins to foam, stir the onion into the butter and cook until the onions are soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir the wild rice and the Arborio rice through the onions until evenly mixed and coated. Add the white wine and mushrooms to the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Pour enough of the simmering stock mixture into the skillet to cover the rice; cook and stir until the liquid is nearly completely absorbed. Continue adding stock about 3/4 cups at a time, allowing each batch to absorb into the mixture before adding the next. Cook and stir until the rice is tender, about 35 minutes total. Add the butternut squash; cook until the squash is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Quickly stir the Gorgonzola cheese and parsley into the mixture until the risotto is moist and creamy; remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 400 cal
- 10.2 g
- 64.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"we loved this so much..." See more"
"I have just discovered allrecipes, and this is my fourth recipe. It is fabulous. I substituted a wild mushroom mix from Costco, and a wild/brown rice mix, also from Costco. Also substituted White Stil..." See moreton for the Gorgonzola. It tastes amazing. Very versatile recipe."
"Delicious! I used fresh shiitake mushrooms and chicken stock because that's what I had and I probably should have cooked them before hand because the stems were a little hard. Also, the wild rice di..." See moredn't cook at the same rate as the arborio so it was a little hard. In the feature I might partially cook it separately first. Otherwise it was very good!"
Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
Wild Rice Casserole II
Just swipe to see more like this.