Upside Down Pear Gingerbread Cake4 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 5 min
“Delicious, yet easy to make. The perfect dessert for a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast.” - by blondiegreen
Original recipe yields 1 10-inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a bowl, lightly mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Place 1/4 cup of butter into a 10-inch springform pan, put it in the oven, and allow to melt for a minute or two. Sprinkle the melted butter evenly with brown sugar. Pat the pear halves dry with paper towels, and cut each half into 3 slices lengthwise. Arrange the pear slices in a spiral pattern on top of the brown sugar. Without disturbing the arranged slices, spray the inside walls of the pan with cooking spray.
- Beat the white sugar and 1/2 cup of butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until creamy; beat in the egg, then mix in the molasses. Mix the flour mixture into the molasses mixture, then stir in the hot water. Pour the batter into the springform pan on top of the pear slices.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before inverting on a serving dish and removing pan.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 368 cal
- 12.3 g
- 62.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This cake was ok. The pear and brown sugar topping was really good, but the cake itself was lacking in flavor and a bit dry...." See more"
"If you don't like the flavor of molasses and gingerbread A LOT, don't make this. It's a pretty cake, but it didn't hold together too well once it came out of the springform pan. If I were to make th..." See moreis again, I think I'd try cutting back a bit on the molasses."
"I have to disagree with other reviewers. We all thought this was excellent. The spicy flavour was fantastic with the juicyness of the pears. I made 0 changes to this. Served it with whipped cream ..." See moreinfused with pear juice. One suggestion-don't do this in a springform pan, it will leak and make a mess of your oven!"
Cottage Pudding - Upside Down Cake
Persimmon Upside Down Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.