Roasted Lamb with Root Vegetables12 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 50 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 40 min
“This recipe makes a fantastic holiday meal, but everyone likes it so much that you won't wait for a holiday to make it again. Impressive as it looks and tastes, it is actually quite simple to make, and it's basically a meal in one roasting pan so even clean-up is a breeze.” - by DarlisJ
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Allow the leg of lamb to rest at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Whisk the garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, rosemary, 1/2 cup olive oil, vinegar, and honey together in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over the lamb, then season with 2 tablespoons coarse salt. Set aside. Place carrots, potatoes, beet, yam, and turnips in a large roasting pan. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. Arrange the seasoned leg of lamb on top of the vegetables.
- Roast the lamb in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Continue roasting to your desired degree of doneness, about 90 minutes more for medium-rare. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C).
- Allow the leg of lamb on a cutting board, tented with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes before carving. Place the vegetables on a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 927 cal
- 39.1 g
- 96.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"I prepared this for supper last night and my husband and I loved it, it is a definite keeper. I enjoy trying new recipes that contain winter vegies and I couldn't have been more pleased with this. The..." See more flavors of the rub meld so wonderfully together and had a nice little bite to it. I will definitely be making this one for the extended family."
"This tasted really good, but I cut the root vegetables too large and they remained firm after I roasted them. I made the following changes: I marinated the lamb leg for 4 hours before roasting, I pour..." See moreed the excess marinade into the root vegetables and mixed them until they were all coated. I left the lamb in a bit longer with the oven off, it was medium done and more rare on the bottom. Next time I would try putting the leg on its own baking dish half-way through and covering the vegetables with a lid so that they would soften. I would also cut the vegetables into smaller pieces."
"We are military family and live in Germany and could not get a leg of lamb, so I substituted a 4lb Ribeye Roast. Allowed the roast to marinate while I boiled the vegetables for 20 minutes, added an e..." See morextra sweet potato, (no yams or white potatoes in the house at the moment). Only put in 2 parsnips but added 2 cups of brussel sprouts to give it color. Also added an onion when boiling to add flavor and topped off with some mushrooms as I was putting it into the oven. Everyone thought it was fabulous."
Easter Leg of Lamb
Bacon-Wrapped Leg of Lamb with Red Wine Reduction
Just swipe to see more like this.