Meatloaf With a Twist25 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“This meatloaf includes the mashed potatoes. Great flavor. You've found a new way to make this classic recipe and the kids will love it. It's also very flexible. Try it, you'll like it!!!! Use ground beef, turkey, chicken, or chicken sausage, or a combination of all three.” - by Blonddee
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Set the onion and garlic aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, black pepper, onion and garlic mixture, eggs, chicken broth, and Romano cheese until thoroughly combined. In a second bowl, mix the mashed potatoes and ricotta cheese.
- Spoon half the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish, and smooth into an even layer with a spoon. Spread the mashed potato mixture over the meat, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the meat; sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese over the mashed potato layer. Cover the cheese with the remaining meat mixture in an even layer; press the edges down to seal in the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle loaf with additional 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the loaf is browned and the meat is no longer pink, about 1 hour. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the loaf stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 622 cal
- 34.5 g
- 38.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (25)Rate This Recipe
"This is my first review of a recipe even though I get many recipes from this site. I HAD to say something about this recipe!!! Love it!!! It all combined greatly and tasted wonderful!! I am impressed ..." See moreand will definitely be making again and again! Good job!!"
"I cut back on the italian seasoned breadcrumbs and instead of ricotta cheese used Philadelphia Herb and Garlic cream cheese.Metaloaf was nice and cheesy tasting and was done in 45 minutes. Leftovers w..." See moreere good also."
"I am making this again tonight for the second time. First time around was hearty and delicious...liked that the mashed potatoes were inside. I even forgot the Romano cheese and it was still good. W..." See moreill add it this time, awesome comfort food recipe! My changes were used half ground beef and half ground pork and did not use 1/4 cup of olive oil..seemed unecessary and it was. Delicious!"
Man Loaf (Variation of the Meatloaf)
Easy Garden Meatloaf
Just swipe to see more like this.