Pretzel Dogs11 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“So good and better than the ones you get at the mall that cost $5 and were made four hours ago! These are a family favorite that even my pickiest eater goes back for seconds (and sometimes thirds!) We always make a big batch because these are just as good reheated the next day for 45 seconds in the microwave with some mustard! Yum!” - by modifiedgirl
Original recipe yields 20 servings
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over 2 cups of warm water in a small bowl. The water should be no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Let stand for 20 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.
- Combine the yeast mixture with the warm milk, oil, and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir well to combine. Stir in half of the flour mixture until no dry spots remain. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. The dough should be moderately stiff and slightly sticky. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray, then place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (80 to 95 degrees F (27 to 35 degrees C)) until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- After the dough has risen, fill a large pot with about 8 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the baking soda and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. While the water is coming to a boil cut the the dough into 20 pieces, about the size of a golf ball. Roll each piece into a 12 inch long rope about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Dip a strip of dough into the boiling water using a pair of tongs, count to 5, remove it from the water, and place it on a paper towel for a few seconds. Wrap the strip around a hot dog, place on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough and hot dogs.
- Bake in a preheated oven until they are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 440 cal
- 19.8 g
- 51.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"We made with whole wheat flour (all I had) and I think that they would be much better with white flour. Even still, really good and a lot of fun to make with the fam...." See more"
"I just made these 20 minutes ago, my oldest says, "these aren't pretzels, but they are still good". They look and taste nothing like a pretzel, but the taste was fantastic! I had a little dough left s..." See moreo I brushed it with a little melted butter mixed with honey after they baked and put cinnamon sugar on them, upon my sons request. They just tried them and they like them also. Great recipe I can see these being requested quite a bit. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!"
NuNu's and Hot Dogs
Just swipe to see more like this.