Ukrainian Cabbage Rolls21 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“My parents are Ukrainian and this is a recipe we always made when I was growing up. These cabbage rolls have no meat in them. Sometimes they used salt pork in them, but I didn't care for it.” - by starbuck
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Steam the whole head of cabbage until it is al dente. Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent; stir into cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the leaves off of the cabbage and cut the larger leaves in half. Spoon 1 tablespoon of rice into a leaf and roll tightly. Place rolls in prepared casserole dish, stacking in layers. Pour tomato juice over the rolls, using enough just to cover.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 207 cal
- 3.5 g
- 39.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"Great recipe. *Another way to remove cabbage from the head is to freeze it and then let it thaw completely.The leaves will then come off easily. (just a little family trick.)..." See more"
"This is a really great starter recipe. When I make it, I add bacon, garlic, and plenty of herbs to the rice (whatever is your favorite--I use a lot of rosemary and basil) and it turns out great. I als..." See moreo use a previous reviewer's tip to serve these with sour cream, and it's a delicious combination."
Ukrainian Meat Filled Cabbage Rolls
False Cabbage Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.