Rudy's Molcajete Mixto3 Reviews
“This mixed grill of carne asada, nopales, chicken, shrimp, jalapenos, and chorizo sausage is served in a heated molcajete with queso fresco, salsa, avocado and lime for a delicious Mexican feast.” - by Herdez
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Using oven mitts, heat the molcajete over the grill or stove.*
- Grill carne asada for five minutes.
- Add and grill chicken, nopales on one side for five minutes, turn over. Also, add jalapenos turning every two minutes to soften.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over meats. Add and grill chorizo and shrimp. Add green onions and rotate to cook on all sides, about two minutes.
- While meat cooks, slice the tomatoes, avocado and cheese into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Using oven mitts, pour half of the salsa into the heated molcajete.
- Remove the meats and slice in long, thin strips.
- Place the beef, chicken, shrimp, nopales, and cheese around the inside edge of the bowl. Add the chorizo to the center of the bowl. Add the tomatoes, green onions, avocados and jalapenos around the chorizo. Pour remaining salsa over ingredients.
- Place the cilantro over the nopales. Place limes on top, to be squeezed when served.
- Use small tortillas to serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 446 cal
- 21.9 g
- 29.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I didn’t use the nopales or the molcajete because we couldn’t find nopales at the store and I only have one small molcajete that wouldn’t fit the quantity of food here. I have cooked with nopales bef..." See moreore and it is wonderful (if you are able to find it – be sure to scrape the outside of any tines and I season with a squeeze of lime juice and olive oil). I substituted two small zucchini and one yellow squash cut diagonally and sautéed for the nopales. Another good substitute for it is artichoke hearts which I didn’t try this time but I bet it would be good. I cooked the chorizo first, removed it from the pan and then cooked the meats separately in the drippings. To serve I used a regular large frying pan heated up. I dry grilled the corn tortillas until a bit brown but soft. I also squeezed a couple of limes into the finished dish before serving. I seasoned the meats separately – for the chicken I used Chicken BBQ seasoning, for the shrimp, I used fish BBQ seasoning and the carne asada came pre-seasoned. I also added garlic (4 heads diced) and white onion (Half) diced. Then I mixed everything together at the end. This makes an awesome Cinco de mayo dish. It was outstanding!!!"
"I've had this EXACT dish at a Mexican restaurant in Madison Mississippi. I've been a Californian for 16 years and lived in Mississippi for 2 years. Let me tell you, the Mexican food here, differs by..." See more a ton! The food here is just more authentic, yada yada...BUT, I have to say, I tried that Molcajete once and I was hooked for life! Now I can't find anywhere in California that serves em, so I'm glad to have stumbled upon the recipe myself and find out how awesome it was, exactly like the one in MS!! Thanks Herdez :)"
Wes' Pork Chops with Verde Salsa
Just swipe to see more like this.