Cardamom French Toast Casserole4 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“I love cardamom, and I thought I'd play with recipes featuring it. I came up with this one after having made cardamom braids, a Norwegian sweet bread. Cardamom braids are the best for this, but French bread or Italian bread will work, too.” - by chikalin
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9x12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle the pecans over the bread.
- Beat the eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk, almond extract, 1 tablespoon cardamom, cinnamon, and brown sugar together in a bowl until thoroughly combined; pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes and pecans. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and allow the casserole to sit 15 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes; remove the aluminum foil and continue baking until the top is golden brown, another 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Mix the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, and 3 tablespoons milk in a bowl with a fork until smooth; pour over the slightly cooled casserole to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 313 cal
- 14.4 g
- 40.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"On the plus side, this bakes up beautifully. Placing the casserole dish or ramekins in a water bath ensures an evenly baked custard, so no resulting eggy or soggy center. On the negative side, this ..." See morecontains way too much cardamom to be edible. Having grown up around a Finn grandparent, I'm quite familiar with cardamom (pulla is still a favorite) and often seek out recipes in which it is featured. But a full tablespoon (plus more in the topping) of the floral, citrusy spice is overkill. And even though my kitchen smelled wonderful while this was baking, one bite suggested I was eating perfume. Sometimes less IS more."
"I was a little hesitant to make this; I love cardamom and cinnamon, but I always disliked bread pudding and that's kinda what this sounded like to me. I used the bread I had on hand, which happened t..." See moreo be Udi's gluten-free sandwich slices. I tore slices to pieces and firmed them up a bit in the oven. Other than that, I followed the directions as is, except added a few raisins in with the bread chunks and baking in a ramekin (made a single serving). As I suspected, the texture was not a hit with me-I loved the top layer but below, it was too soft for my liking. BUT the flavors and overall taste was very yum! Since the issue was a personal preference, I will adapt this recipe next time I make French toast on the stove top because I really like the combo. Thanks for the inspiration!"
"I made this following directions except I did add a little vanilla to the top mixture. My family didn't like it as well as I did, probably because they aren't used to the taste of the cardamom. I th..." See moreink the next time I would make it, I'd only use half the cardamom just to win them over. The egg/milk mixture didn't quite soak up all the bread, so there was a variety of bread textures in the casserole. Thanks for the recipe!"
Crispy Baked French Toast
Orange Marmalade French Toast Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.