Tostones Rellenos (Stuffed Plantain Cups)2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“The filling for tostones rellenos can vary greatly: ceviche, octopus salad, pico de gallo, salsa, garlic shrimp, etc. These are stuffed with picadillo (seasoned ground beef) and cheese, but use your imagination. The possibilities are endless!” - by LatinaCook
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat canola oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry the plantains in the preheated oil until golden, but not brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Smash each piece of plantain in a tostonero or with the bottom of a small dish to make a small disk, then shape the disk into a small cup. Return the plantain cups to the hot oil, and fry until golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes more. Season with garlic salt. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef. Season with salt. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Stir in the sofrito, tomato sauce, water, sazon seasoning, and olives. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Fill the plantain cups with the beef mixture and top with Cheddar cheese. Arrange the cups on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 318 cal
- 21.7 g
- 16 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This is definitely a crowd pleaser! Fill them with your favorite toppings or with nothing at all. I used the beef filling from the recipe except that I added a handful of golden raisins to it. My daug..." See morehters loved them!"
Lasagna Stuffed Shells
Stuffed Green Peppers II
Just swipe to see more like this.