Heart-Shaped Strawberry Shortcakes1 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This is a great recipe that is fun to make and tastes great! It's a great family fun recipe to make with your kids and even a romantic dessert to enjoy with your loved one.” - by Mindele
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the self-rising flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cold butter pieces, and chop the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like crumbs. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and whipped cream together, and pour into the bowl containing the flour mixture; add milk and vanilla extract. Stir to make a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Spread the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes; allow the cake to cool completely. With a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 16 hearts from the cake. It helps to wiggle the cutter slightly while cutting. Remove cut-outs carefully to avoid breaking.
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl; place a shortcake heart on a plate, and top with sweetened strawberries, then spoon about 2 tablespoons of whipped cream on the berries. Top with another heart-shaped shortcake and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 838 cal
- 60.7 g
- 66.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"There's nothing quite like good old-fashioned strawberry shortcake! I must admit though I did have to play with this recipe a bit to make it work for me. I doubled the sugar as I like a sweeter short..." See morecake and I reduced the cinnamon to 1 tsp. I added a little more egg and cut back on the butter. Since I wasn't sure how "whipped cream" would turn out so I used buttermilk instead and enough to get the dough workable. I let wrapped the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill for a half hour. I then rolled it out onto a well floured surface and cut it with heart shaped cookie cutters before putting it into the oven. I also did an egg wash and topped the heart-shaped shortcakes with a bit of turbinado sugar for a little extra crunch. They baked up beautifully and tasted great with the strawberries and whipped cream. A wonderful summertime treat and a great way to use fresh strawberries!"
Easy, Eggless Strawberry Ice Cream
Just swipe to see more like this.