Strawberry Shortcake Updated1 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 15 min
“This is a sophisticated strawberry shortcake. The cake is made with graham cracker crumbs. The strawberries are marinated in a Zinfandel syrup spiced with cardamom and cloves. It is a wonderful ending to any elegant dinner!” - by the Guiltless Gourmet
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and line pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, honey, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt together until thoroughly mixed; gently stir in the graham cracker crumbs. In a separate glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the crumb mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Spread the batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cake is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen sides. Release the springform pan, and gently remove cake from the bottom; cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine cardamom pods, clove, sugar, and Zinfandel wine over medium heat, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes; mix in the lemon juice. Place strawberries into a bowl, and pour the hot Zinfandel syrup over the berries; chill 2 to 3 hours to blend flavors.
- Freeze a metal mixing bowl and beaters from an electric mixer until ice cold, about 15 minutes. Pour the cold cream into the mixing bowl, and place the cold beaters into the mixer. Beat the cream with the electric mixer set on High just until the cream forms stiff peaks, about 1 minute. Discard the cardamom pods and clove from the strawberries, and top the cake with the strawberries and syrup. Serve with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 247 cal
- 12.2 g
- 30 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"This was a tasty treat. I wasn't able to come by the cardamom pods (sadly), so I had to use a small amt of ground cardamom. I also reduced the lemon to 1 tbsp. After whipping up the cream I did not l..." See moreike it without sugar, so I had to add about 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar. Because of the lemon and lack of sugar in the whipped topping, I went with 4 stars. It was easy to make. I did not assemble the whole cake at once as I didn't want it to get soggy. It worked well to serve piece by piece. The cake is definitely not made to be eaten alone, so be sure to have enough strawberries and whipped topping to go around! thanks for a lovely - 'grown up' dessert."
Red, White and Blue Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.