Shortbread Christmas Cookies8 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“These buttery shortbread cookies are so tasty and hold their shape very well. Make beautiful Valentine hearts also!” - by HANNER
Original recipe yields 3 dozen cookies
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl; with a pastry cutter, chop in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir the rum extract and almond extract into the water in a small bowl. Mix into the dry ingredients, a little bit at a time, until the mixture holds together in a ball when you squeeze it.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface, and sprinkle with flour; roll out into a sheet 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with floured cookie cutters, and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Bake the cookies just until the edges are lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Allow to cool on sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to finish cooling. Cool completely before decorating.
- For frosting, whisk the confectioners' sugar and milk in a bowl until smooth. If desired, divide frosting into small bowls, and tint each bowl a desired shade with food coloring. Frost fully cooled cookies, and sprinkle with edible glitter before the frosting sets.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 149 cal
- 7.8 g
- 18.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"a very nice shortbread recipe. i did it the easy way and mixed the dry ingredients in the food processor and then processed it with the cold butter (chopped into slices) until thoroughly mixed and cru..." See morembly. then, in a bowl, added this mixture with the wet ingredients. i always roll the dough between two sheets of wax paper to desired thickness (i did 1/4 inch) and then loosen the paper on both sides before cutting out the cookies. This way, they transfer really easily to the cookie sheets. Thanks, Hanner!"
"These cookies are amazing!! very easy to make and extremely tasty! my family couldn't get enough of them. I would highly recommend them...." See more"
Shortbread Cookies IV
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.