Chicken American4 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“I have been making this dish since I was in my early teen years. Instead of using regular bread crumbs, I use a packaged cornbread stuffing to make a more crispy/crunchy coating. The Parmesan cheese may be increased or decreased depending on your personal taste. Try switching out the American cheese. I have made this with Swiss cheese and served sauteed mushrooms and onions to put over the top. I usually serve with steamed broccoli and roasted potatoes.” - by Jimfitz
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a baking rack over a roasting pan.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until browned but not totally crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Mix the flour, salt, and black pepper into a resealable plastic bag, seal the bag, and shake a few times to combine. Beat the eggs with water in a shallow dish. Place the corn bread stuffing mix into a large plastic bag, seal the bag, and roll the stuffing with a rolling pin to crush it into crumbs. Pour the stuffing crumbs into a shallow dish. Mix in the Parmesan cheese.
- Rinse chicken breasts, shake off excess water, and place them, one at a time, into the bag containing the flour. Seal the bag and shake well to coat the chicken with flour; shake off excess flour. Dip the floured breast into the beaten egg, then gently but firmly press into the corn stuffing crumbs, turning to coat all sides.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and pan fry the breaded chicken breasts until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken breasts to the baking rack; cut the bacon slices in half crosswise, and lay 4 halves on each chicken breast. Top the bacon with a slice of American cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside, the bacon is crisp, and the cheese has melted, 15 to 20 minutes. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 660 cal
- 31.6 g
- 38.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"The taste was good, but the construction seemed all wrong. Breading fell off, American cheese got stiff. My suggestion would be to add a couple of tbsp of butter to the canola when pan frying the chi..." See morecken. I do this in other recipes and never have problems with the breading staying on. Also, I'd bake the chicken for about 5-10 mins, then add the bacon and cheese. Or just wait until it comes out of the oven and use a little cheese sauce to pour on the breasts. I had high hopes for this one, but it just didn't come out quite as well as I hoped it would."
"This chicken is great! I did not have cornbread stuffing so I used chicken stuffing mix. Next time I will try it with the cornbread stuffing. I also chopped up the bacon into little pieces, so there w..." See moreas bacon with every bite. This will be going into my recipe box!"
Smothered Chicken Breasts
Bacon Chicken II
Just swipe to see more like this.