Eggplant Slices, Tomatoes, and Mozzarella5 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is from my uncle's cookbook. The eggplant can also be served cold.” - by Jason
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the eggplant slices in flour; tap off excess. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- On each slice of eggplant, place a slice of tomato and a thin slice of mozzarella cheese. Place the next slice of eggplant halfway over the previous slice and continue layering with tomato and cheese until the bottom of the dish is covered. Arrange the eggplant so that half of the previous slice is covered by the next slice. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped anchovies, garlic, basil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to mash and dissolve the anchovies; remove from heat.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and immediately pour the sauce over the eggplant. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 422 cal
- 31.3 g
- 19.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"I loved this recipe, but I loosely followed it…still trying to be true to it and do it justice...I grilled the marinated eggplant slices instead of frying them, and used fresh mozzarella cheese, the t..." See moreomato and basil was from my own garden, and then broiled them in the oven on top of crostini slices until the cheese was bubbly. For the olive oil basil drizzle, I omitted the anchovies, and instead used a tsp. of olive oil infused with white truffles, white balsamic vinegar, and roasted garlic! Out of this world!"
"Delicious Summer side dish! Because my oven isn't working I wasn't able to bake it, but I served everything room temperature and it was great. Instead of just flouring the eggplant, I dipped it in e..." See moregg and then bread crumbs before frying. I layered up the ingredients into a stack and dressed it at the last minute with the vinaigrette. Delish!"
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Mini Shells with Grape Tomatoes, Green Beans, and Mozzarella
Just swipe to see more like this.